Expression of Interest for a Director to join our Board
Since 1991 Women’s Circus has been offering and honing a unique circus and training performance program that is underpinned by values of empathy and imagination; supported risk and inclusion.
The organisation successfully delivers high quality programs and opportunities that support the personal and professional development of hundreds of women, trans and non-binary people annually while continuing to improve our systems and grow our stakeholder base.
Women’s Circus is bold, dynamic and confident, leading the way in intersectional feminist community arts cultural development practice to redress gender equality in society. We know that Women’s Circus changes lives and is deeply valued by members, stakeholders and the broader creative community.
What are we looking for?
We are seeking a new board member who is attracted to our mission and values and wish to be part of an active board to drive, guide and govern our wonderful organisation.
You MUST possess one or more of the following skills:
- Professional background in Fundraising and Development
- Experience developing private giving programs and networks
- Proven experience developing relationships with, and securing funding from, philanthropic organisations
- Experience in the development of innovative fundraising strategies to support cultural organisations or initiatives
We strongly encourage applications from trans and gender diverse community members, people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, First Nations people and disabled people. We are committed to inclusive and responsive meeting practice and communication and vary our processes to suit the diverse access requirements of our board members and community.
Your Responsibilities as a Board member:
Women’s Circus is a company limited by guarantee. All Directors of the Women’s Circus are bound by the company’s constitution, relevant rules and legislation, including the Corporations Act 2001.
The role and responsibilities of a Director are described in the Women’s Circus Board Charter and include:
- Participation in, and contribution to, approximately 10 to 12 Board meetings per year
- Oversight of effective governance of the organisation
- Formulation of the strategic direction
- Recruitment and oversight of the General Manager and Creative Producer
- Reviewing, approving and monitoring the business plan and annual budget
- Contribution to the development of board and organisational policies
- Involvement on board sub-committees
In addition to the above, Directors are also expected to attend and assist in Women’s Circus fundraising, community and end of year shows, as well as promote and represent the Women’s Circus in a professional capacity at various functions and forums held across Melbourne.
Members of the Women’s Circus community are encouraged to apply! However persons employed either currently or in the past 12 months as employees, contractors or auditors of the Women’s Circus are not eligible to apply.
How to find out more
A copy of the Board Charter setting out the responsibilities, governance procedures and other matters relating to the operation of the Board can be found on the Women’s Circus website (www.womenscircus.org.au) or contact email@example.com to have one sent to you.
To express your interest
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your Curriculum Vitae and a covering letter describing your motivation to contribute to our great organisation, as well as your relevant skills and experience, by Mon 24 May.